O P P O R T U N I T Y – A S S I S T A N T N A T U R E B A S E D P R E S C H O O L T E A C H E RS
The Town of Kittery Community Center has an immediate opening for two (2) part-time Assistant Nature Based Preschool Teachers. The starting rate for this position is $10.75 per hour. One position will be scheduled Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8am to 4pm, and another position will be scheduled Monday through Friday from 12:15pm to 6:00pm.
The purpose of this part time position is to support the Lead Teacher in planning and implementing activities with the children between the ages of two and five years. Assistant Teachers will have a positive attitude towards all forms of weather and wildlife. Assistant Teachers will model positive behavior and be a role model for students by wearing appropriate clothing in all types of weather.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
• Assist Teacher in a class with a maximum of sixteen (16) students, year round
• Establish and maintain effective, working relationships with children, parents, and staff
• Help students explore the world around them
• Assist the teacher in maintaining a safe, clean, learning environment and assure the wellbeing and safety of the children in his/her care
• Follow all rules and regulations according to the State of Maine License book
• Exhibit a genuine nurturing caring attitude to all the children
• Assist the teacher in preparing materials and supplies in advance for activities
• Attend all staff meetings
• Attend trainings, as necessary
• Be enthusiastic and prepared to explore the outdoors with children
• Hands on and not afraid to get a little dirty
• Fun and energetic
• Additional tasks may be assigned to meet the needs of the school
• High School Diploma or GED
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
• Working knowledge of child development, disabilities, family systems and special education methods
• Exhibit a positive professionalism with supervisors, co-workers, students, parents and community
• Interact with a wide variety of people
• Effectively communicate - orally and in writing
• Maintain composure in stressful situations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, stoop, kneel, and crouch
• The employee must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs
• Must be able to spend long periods of time standing
• There may be physical demands based on physical, emotional and cognitive needs of particular children
• Must appreciate the outdoors, all weather types and animals/bugs included
The responsibilities outlined above cannot totally encompass or define all tasks which may be required by this position. The outline of responsibilities given above may, therefore, vary from time to time without changing the level of responsibility.
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit to:
Maureen Paro, Human Resources Generalist
Town of Kittery
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.